Rantopolis

Is this time change stuff totally necessary?!

This is what 5:30 p.m. looks like in Chicago right now.  (I promise you, it didn’t look like this yesterday.)  No, I didn’t shoot this from a plane.  I live in a high rise.

Fade to black for the next five months.

Twice a year we have to go through the time change garbage.  Twice a year I bitch.

The bitching commences as I am about to change the clocks in two different apartments (mine and my mothers).

Come to think of it, that’s a lie.  The bitching really commences in the fall about a week before when Europe changes its clocks and we don’t.

However, in the spring, I have to remember that the U.S. changes two weeks ahead of Europe.  I also have to remember “spring ahead” and “fall behind.”

Like I need more things to remember.

So for three weeks out of 52, we are not in our usual sync with Europe.  Do you know how much fun that is trying to coordinate business calls and other deadlines with a different continent?  Not.

Honestly, is all of this really necessary?  As I understand it, the reason behind this is to save electricity.  Whatever.  It’s really annoying.

Thank god for electronics, such as my computers and phone, which switch automatically.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not bother to change the clock in my car.  I’m picking up my new one sometime this week, so I’ll let the time change be someone else’s problem.

Oh, and if you think I have a bad attitude about this today, just wait until five months ago when we have to change clocks and lose an hour.

I promise you.  That rant won’t be pretty.

Categories: Random thoughts , Uncategorized

6 comments

1 NoOceanInKansas { 11.06.11 at 6:21 pm }

I am with you on this! I enjoy waking up and knowing I have an “extra” hour, then as the day drags on and it’s 6:30 p.m. and I’m READY FOR BED, it sucks. Plus, all the clock changing kills me. I am getting a new car next week, too(!) and I decided earlier today to just leave it alone and let the next sucker change it. I’m glad to know I’m not alone in my deep hate of Daylight Savings Time.

2 The Honest Bitch { 11.06.11 at 7:14 pm }

Since moving to England from Canada my favorite time of year is that 2 weeks before you guys change your clocks. 4 hours is a lot nicer then 5. Sounds crazy I know but I’m a massive hockey fan and staying up to 2am rather then 3 makes all the difference in the world

3 Sophia { 11.06.11 at 7:17 pm }

I hear ya on that one. I have a ton of friends and biz associates in the UK and Europe. It always helps when there is less of a time gap. But it’s extremely difficult to keep track of all of it. Most people don’t have a clue that we change at different times.

4 Sarcasm Goddess { 11.07.11 at 10:58 am }

Losing an hour makes me much more stabby than gaining one. I don’t mind this one too much cuz it means the holidays are coming- my favorite time of year! You should go on vacation the weeks you’re out of sync with Europe!

5 Sophia { 11.07.11 at 11:32 am }

LOL…would love to go on vacation due to the time change, however, my clients wouldn’t be too supportive of that choice. So, here I sit bitching. (And yes, the lose of an hour in the spring makes me totally mental.)

6 Hallie { 11.11.11 at 9:41 am }

And then there’s our kitty who is quite certain we are trying to starve him to death because we’re feeding him breakfast and dinner an hour later than we did last week. He’s so convinced we’re off schedule, he’s been jumping on the bed and walking on us at 4:30 every morning because he knows it’s almost impossible to sleep with an 11+ pound kitty pacing from your feet to your head and back again.